Jonathan Nilsson Hallén
University of Cambridge / MPI for the Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden
Theoretical physicist interested in quantum dynamics and collective phenomena.
- Nationality: Swedish
- MSci (Imperial College London, 2019
- Supervisor: C. Castelnovo and R. Moessner
- Start of PhD Thesis: 01.10.2019
- Title of Project: Dynamics, disorder and noise in quantum spin liquids
- LinkedIn / Twitter / Instagram: www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-nilsson-hallen
Thesis Abstract: Recent experimental advances in growth and characterisation of candidate materials for quantum spin liquid behaviour have brought to the fore an unprecedented ability to control and understand the role of disorder. I study relaxation and response processes in such systems theoretically, with the help of Monte Carlo simulations of classical equivalent systems, as well as exact diagonalisation of quantum toy models, and effective analytical approaches. One aim is to make practical predictions on for example the magnetic noise of spin liquid materials that may be accessed experimentally in state-of-the-art ultrafast spectroscopy or SQUID measurements.