2. Applying Process
2.1 How can I apply?
To apply for the Max Planck Graduate Center for Quantum Materials you must use the online application form.
2.2 When do I need to apply?
The application procedure, for the 2025/2026 academic year, will start in September 2024 and end in December, 2023.
A complete application comprising all required documentation should be submitted latest until the deadline (with the exception of GRE score confirmation). Incomplete applications or completed applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
2.3 Do you accept old English language proficiency scores?
English test score should not be more than 3 years old at the final admission's deadline at the Max Planck Graduate Center for Quantum Materials. That is, the test score is valid if taken after September, 2021 for a December, 2024 application deadline.
2.4 What are the requirements to apply?
Our entry requirements and the documentation that we require you to upload are listed below:
- Master's and/or Bachelor’s degree as described under FAQ 1.1.
- Official Bachelor's and/or master's transcript of records, and if available course descriptions detailing the content of the courses you have mastered.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV) of maximum two pages in length.
- Personal statement (maximum 1000 characters). Please clearly discuss your decision-making process to apply to the Graduate Center. If needed, additionally under 7 Additional Information upload of longer statement of max 1 page is possible
- A graduate record examinations (GRE) general test - highly recommended.
- Contact of two referees (academic sources) who can attest to your academic, professional, and/or research abilities in the context of your interest in pursuing a graduate degree. At least one referee should not be a member of the Max Planck Gesellschaft.
- A proof of English proficiency (where applicable) by:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5
- (Internet-based) English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80
- Nationals from the USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada;
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. graduates who obtained their qualification in one of the aforementioned countries;
- Applicants with a school-leaving qualification from an English-language secondary school;
- Applicants who can demonstrate they completed their entire university education, or a large part thereof, in English. This fact must be made clear by the transcript, otherwise an informal but official letter from the university is required, in which it is stated that the relevant subjects were taught in English.
2.5 Can I save the data of my application, complete it and submit it later?
Yes. With our new application portal it is possible to save your data and submit it at a later date. Once you have submitted your application, no more changes can be made. We strongly recommend that you submit your application as early as possible to prevent server overload.
2.6 What is ETS instituttion code of MPGC
We do not have an ETS institution code yet. A personal GRE, TOEFL or IELTS test score is sufficient and is accepted.